x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

FLAT route from Spain
30-01-20, 09:38 AM
FLAT route from Spain
Returning from Aguilas in a couple of weeks.

Normal route home is.................
AP7 to Valencia
A23 Terruel - Zarragoza
AP15 Tudela - Pamplona - San Sebastian
..........and then up the west coast of France (N10).

Nice route BUT the haul up from Valencia and then over the Pyrenees to San Sebastian is tough and I'd like to find a gentler ie flatter, route if poss'.

Last time back, we took advice from a friend with an old RV who had the same concerns and so advised ...........
AP7 all the way to Narbonne, then left to Carcasonne and north up through France.
As far as Carcassone it was a great route and a MUCH easier/lower route across the Pyrenees BUT the route north from Carcasonne was a killer with some 'orrible gradients!

I'm thinking about................
AP7 to Narbonne
A61 to Toulouse
A62 to Bordeaux
then up the west coast (N10)

Anyone done this route? Please understand that I'm not interested in alternative non toll routes. With a rig like ours, its FAR easier to stay on the motorway, my main concern is gradients.

Thanks

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
30-01-20, 01:42 PM
RE: FLAT route from Spain
Watching with interest.
30-01-20, 07:53 PM
Hi Zaskar
I have regularly gone from from Caen to Tours to Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeux. There are a few hills but I haven't had a problem. Most of France has hills so it is hard to avoid them. My last trip from Barcelona was via Zaragoza to Pamplona and over the hills to Bilboa. Even loaded with wine I had no problem. I am not the fastest vehicle going up the hills but I get there without overheating.
Mike

Toyota Hilux and Kountrylite 26RK
30-01-20, 10:48 PM
Zaskar my preferred route is the one you suggested from the med coast to Bordeaux. Bordeaux is best avoided daytime as there always seems to be a giant traffic jam on the ring road. The tolls from the Med to Carcassonne are as for HGV 1 no discount so class 4. I think about €70+ last time we did this route.
Have a safe trip, Bob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bob for this post:
zaskar (31-01-20)
16-02-20, 12:45 PM
Right guys, we're back in blighty!
Cracking run back until we got to Chartre where the wind got up big time! Pushed on to Calais instead of stopping for the night and ended up at the car/coach park down the coast at Escalles where we nomally wild the night before our tunnel. Again, blowing an absolute hooley and SHMBO started getting gittery so we go to Eurotunnel, explain we're worried about towing in the wind and can we get across early so we can hole up at Black Horse Farm. Yes, no problem, that'll be another £200 please sir! WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!! Robbing gits, no amount of pleading was gonna move the girl on the phone even tho' the man in the barrier booth was genuinely pleading our case!, The "Boss" said just pay em, so crying blood, I did and we're now holed up in Dover waiting for this bloody awefull wind to subside so I can get oooop North to Burrs at Bury, Manchester. I wouldn't mind but I counted TEN empty carriages on our train!

To get back on topic!..........the new run back that we tried is BY FAR AND AWAY a much flatter/gentler route back from Spain. Far less hills and less steep. Fuel consumption averaged 22.3 as opposed to 19.1 on previous route (see O/P).
Route back was
AP7 Aguilas to Narbonne
A61 Narbonne to Toulouse
A62 to Bordeaux
N10 North
A26 Calais.

Yes, there are tolls involved but we got Class 2 all the way through France and back by politely asking in French..........no quibbles, and IMHO the cost of tolls is worth paying if like me, you dont like pushing your engine and box.

Yes, a Nav/KL or CR will cope with San Sebastien- Zarragossa, but why push it when there's a flatter route? Will definately be using this route again.

Once we downsize to a "normal" motorhome, I'll happily hit Somport etc but for now, with a rig /engine combination like this, I'll happily use the flatter route to get to the sun.
I might also add that by staying low down at night and crossing France from Med to Atlantic in one day, as opposed to a couple of nights high up on the Spanish plain, we used a lot less gas and stayed warmer.

HTH

Campsite Warden
16-02-20, 01:37 PM
Glad you are safely back. Interestingly Jacqui's grand daughter was on the ferry Saturday - school trip for skiing in Italy, which was not delayed. I have changed Eurotunnel times before at the toll booth, once was an extra €10- and we went 2 hours earlier the other we declined as they wanted €70 for 1 train or 30 mins earlier. Both times the Calais car park was almost empty. How they justify these extra costs when there is light traffic through the tunnel defeats my thought process.
Interestingly we now go via Rouen and Le Mans as this shows as 2 miles shorter on my GPS but is under the "alternative routes" guidance. There is about 10 miles without autoroute at Rouen but have had no problems through the town as yet (7.5 tonne weight limit)
Bob
16-02-20, 01:56 PM
(16-02-20 01:37 PM)Bob Wrote:  ...........................
Interestingly we now go via Rouen and Le Mans as this shows as 2 miles shorter on my GPS but is under the "alternative routes" guidance. There is about 10 miles without autoroute at Rouen but have had no problems through the town as yet (7.5 tonne weight limit)
Bob

Agreed, that's the way we normally go and its great. Unfortunately, coming back, I found a lakeside overnight stop which although very nice, put us on the Chartres main road rather than Le Man.
We suddenly remembered WHY we hadn't used Chartres (N154) for years.72
The wind was chuffin' 'orrible and the oncoming truck "bow wave" almost ripped our mirrors off! NEVER AGAIN!!!!Whistle

Campsite Warden
16-02-20, 03:25 PM
When we had that high wind in Norway I kept the black tank ½ full and the grey was about ¾ full. The fresh was full. I figured that with the extra weight we were less likely to blow over. Into the wind I actually made 19 mph in 2nd gear. That was the time the steps blew down. Paul at CCRV had never heard of such a thing. Strangely it was not until we were some 20 miles up the final stretch of some 60 miles to Honnisvag that the wind came up in some 10 minutes. Nowhere to stop or turn around so just kept going. There were no trucks though so no bow waves.
Welcome to the UK's weather. Bob

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication