x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Wind - Storm Ciara
07-02-20, 10:16 AM
Wind - Storm Ciara
I normally try to park nose into high winds, but on the present site in southern ireland I can't.
Again I would pull the two "high" front slide outs in, on the assumption that the wind has less to get hold of.
The rear two go down nearer to the ground.
But if I leave the slide outs out, does that help with the center of balance and make the rig more stable.
Any thoughts

NP300 + Quad KountryLite 5th Wheeler
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-02-20, 01:43 PM
RE: Wind - Storm Ciara
The only time I've pulled a slide in is when we had a slide topper, which would flap in strong winds & the noise made it hard to sleep. I get the concern about the larger frontal area but unless you're somewhere really exposed I wouldn't worry too much. We survived 70-80mph winds a couple of years ago with the slides out, can't really use ours with them in as the bed is then only accessible from one side & the lounge is completely inaccessible.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shovelheadrob for this post:
Colintheolder (07-02-20)
07-02-20, 02:10 PM
Keeping the slides in reduces the outside surface area. The sideways imbalance is reduced especially if only the windward side is out and the down wind side is in. (Even better if that is where your chairs are). However in Norway with a constant wind of 30 metres / second (about 69 mph) and gusts of 40 metres / second (92 miles an hour) we just pulled sideways to the wind and out went the slides after I had disconnected the truck. I had the front legs on wood as I thought that the friction between tarmac and steel might mean the landing legs would slide down wind. It was a very noisy night and only 2 German caravans arrived - both twin axle Hobby's and they parked nose to wind and still hitched up with corner steadies down.
I had no trouble walking around but Jacqui would have been blown away I think as she is only some 8 stone.
Bob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bob for this post:
Colintheolder (07-02-20)
07-02-20, 07:53 PM
When we parked at Richmond,and we had some gusting side winds which had been blowing all the way down from Ayr,I left the truck hooked up and all the legs down,I thought the extra weight of the Navara would help,but this was nothing like as bad as they are predicting from Ciara,good luck.
10-02-20, 07:18 PM
(07-02-20 10:16 AM)Colintheolder Wrote:  I normally try to park nose into high winds, but on the present site in southern ireland I can't.
Again I would pull the two "high" front slide outs in, on the assumption that the wind has less to get hold of.
The rear two go down nearer to the ground.
But if I leave the slide outs out, does that help with the center of balance and make the rig more stable.
Any thoughts

I hope Ciara was kind to you - How did you get on? I know Ireland got some of the worst winds.

That's a really good question you've posed and my reply is time-wise next to useless! I think having the slide-outs 'in' makes good sense in a really high winds. As the Slide-Outs don't have legs under them, they won't have much effect on stability. Being hooked up makes sense whichever way your facing.

John

2013 Celtic Rambler & 2013 Navara V6
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Smilesping for this post:
Colintheolder (10-02-20)
10-02-20, 09:05 PM
So, I pulled in the front 2 slide outs, mainly cos of the wind noise. Had to sleep diagonally in the bed to fit, but the tv was so close it was like being in the cinema. I reconnected the navara because I was worried the front legs would slide on the tarmac. all in all no problems. just hoping the wind dies down by wednesday for the ferry crossing Rosslare to Pembroke.

10-02-20, 09:20 PM
Hi Colin, subject to Jacqui's new 2nd hip replacement operation going as good as the 1st one we hope to go to Ireland in the spring. Which sites did you use and would recommend?
Bob
10-02-20, 11:30 PM
Don't go to the Jasmine site east of Cork, very expensive, rough facilities and only 6 amp supply, also access is tigh. I had to reverse out half way & then do a 10 point turn.
Unfortunately little choice during winter.
I'll compile my list & add it soon

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Colintheolder for this post:
Bob (11-02-20)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication