Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Sites in Norway and Sweden
14-02-20, 01:26 PM
Sites in Norway and Sweden
Hi All,

For this summer we are planning a trip through part of Norway then Sweden into Finland and down to Helsinki to get the ferry to Tallinn to travel through Latvia/Lithuania.

We are a bit hesitant of going too much into Norway due to the roads, we have a Rockwood 2650WS which is 9m long.

Does anyone have any experience of suitable campsites travelling this route but especially Norway?

Any help or pointers to campsites on route would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Malcolm
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-02-20, 04:19 PM
RE: Sites in Norway and Sweden
I have been twice to Norway once returning via the Baltic States in a fiver. 4 times in a tent. I wild camp in many places but the ACSI book is excellent. Sites we have used are France the site next to Camping le Grand Gravelot which is handy for Auchen hypermarket. €10- / night free dump but €2- for fresh water. If you use this site the gate is narrow so go past it and turn left in a "Q" turn so the rig is at right angles to the gate entrance. No hook up.
We then wild camp up to the 1st of the famous bridges where there is a wild camping site on the right just before you enter the bridge. That costs €40- from memory but the 2nd is €110- each payable at the far end. The is a gas station and as you leave it a road on the right does a "U" turn and the camp site is at the foot of the bridge (almost). Hook up via a meter and water.
Now you have a choice the E6 up through Norway which is scenic but above Oslo is very slow with lots of narrow bridges, with lots of wild camping on the way, or the E20 through Sweden which is a much faster route still pretty. We stay in Tornio this town has 2 time zones and the eastern side has a well marked out campsite but dump via a waste master only.
Norway has lots of petrol stations with some having a sign of a motorhome doing a poo, some are free. You will need a debit / credit card for fuel as most pumps are pay at pump only the shop being "divorced" form the pumps.
The E13 is a very narrow with small passing places and I would never take the rig down there again. There is also a 25% slope to climb and descend with hairpin bends.
The Lofotten Isles have a very good site in Leknes take the main road E10 (ignore the satnav) past the upturned Viking ship (a museum) to the Esso station turn left, up the hill and down and turn left at the bottom next to the cemetery. The narrow road is about 2 miles to the C/S. Its a very pretty place but arrive at noon for a good pitch. There is another C/S past the Narvik airport but it is on a steep hill down to a level part only about 1 metre above sea level. The Leknes site has a dump but you will need a long sewer pipe.
Going north wild camp at the Sami tepees beside the road but away from the toilets at the top right hand side as they smell bad. One more wild camp on the left - the one on the right has a crap surface so go another mile or two. Then it's a days run to the top. the best place up there is just north of Honningsvag on the right. Camping at the top is possible but you are 1000 ft up no water, dump or electricity and is expensive cramped and on a slope and if the wind blows as it often does very exposed.
It is a 2 day trip to Kirkenes. Take the E6 unless you want all the fillings to drop out of your teeth. The site is on the left and a bit basic. The town does have a Reema 1000 which is by far the cheapest supermarket in Norway but everything is 2 - 3 times dearer in Norway. Finland is much cheaper. I suggest you take as much food as possible from home.
In Finland we wild camp until Juva Camping. A nice site but the sewer dump is 3 ft of the ground. It is a good place to stay and explore the surrounding country Puumala is a particularly pretty village some 40 miles away.
Estonia travel east on the newish motorway be aware that "U" turns are allowed In places. About 20 miles from the Russian border there is a headland with a C/S on it and it is the headland jutting into the straights. This is the cheapest site I have ever styed at about €6- a night. Water and electricity. Latvia and Lithuania we just wild camped anywhere. The same for Poland. For the Polish motorways you need a motorway electronic tag as the truck is over 2000kgs. Lithuania you will need a Vignette.
Hoping this helps and you have a super holiday.
Bob
14-02-20, 05:55 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the very comprehensive response.

Once we have digested all the info we might come back with some questions if that is OK.

Cheers

Malcolm

(14-02-20 04:19 PM)Bob Wrote:  I have been twice to Norway once returning via the Baltic States in a fiver. 4 times in a tent. I wild camp in many places but the ACSI book is excellent. Sites we have used are France the site next to Camping le Grand Gravelot which is handy for Auchen hypermarket. €10- / night free dump but €2- for fresh water. If you use this site the gate is narrow so go past it and turn left in a "Q" turn so the rig is at right angles to the gate entrance. No hook up.
We then wild camp up to the 1st of the famous bridges where there is a wild camping site on the right just before you enter the bridge. That costs €40- from memory but the 2nd is €110- each payable at the far end. The is a gas station and as you leave it a road on the right does a "U" turn and the camp site is at the foot of the bridge (almost). Hook up via a meter and water.
Now you have a choice the E6 up through Norway which is scenic but above Oslo is very slow with lots of narrow bridges, with lots of wild camping on the way, or the E20 through Sweden which is a much faster route still pretty. We stay in Tornio this town has 2 time zones and the eastern side has a well marked out campsite but dump via a waste master only.
Norway has lots of petrol stations with some having a sign of a motorhome doing a poo, some are free. You will need a debit / credit card for fuel as most pumps are pay at pump only the shop being "divorced" form the pumps.
The E13 is a very narrow with small passing places and I would never take the rig down there again. There is also a 25% slope to climb and descend with hairpin bends.
The Lofotten Isles have a very good site in Leknes take the main road E10 (ignore the satnav) past the upturned Viking ship (a museum) to the Esso station turn left, up the hill and down and turn left at the bottom next to the cemetery. The narrow road is about 2 miles to the C/S. Its a very pretty place but arrive at noon for a good pitch. There is another C/S past the Narvik airport but it is on a steep hill down to a level part only about 1 metre above sea level. The Leknes site has a dump but you will need a long sewer pipe.
Going north wild camp at the Sami tepees beside the road but away from the toilets at the top right hand side as they smell bad. One more wild camp on the left - the one on the right has a crap surface so go another mile or two. Then it's a days run to the top. the best place up there is just north of Honningsvag on the right. Camping at the top is possible but you are 1000 ft up no water, dump or electricity and is expensive cramped and on a slope and if the wind blows as it often does very exposed.
It is a 2 day trip to Kirkenes. Take the E6 unless you want all the fillings to drop out of your teeth. The site is on the left and a bit basic. The town does have a Reema 1000 which is by far the cheapest supermarket in Norway but everything is 2 - 3 times dearer in Norway. Finland is much cheaper. I suggest you take as much food as possible from home.
In Finland we wild camp until Juva Camping. A nice site but the sewer dump is 3 ft of the ground. It is a good place to stay and explore the surrounding country Puumala is a particularly pretty village some 40 miles away.
Estonia travel east on the newish motorway be aware that "U" turns are allowed In places. About 20 miles from the Russian border there is a headland with a C/S on it and it is the headland jutting into the straights. This is the cheapest site I have ever styed at about €6- a night. Water and electricity. Latvia and Lithuania we just wild camped anywhere. The same for Poland. For the Polish motorways you need a motorway electronic tag as the truck is over 2000kgs. Lithuania you will need a Vignette.
Hoping this helps and you have a super holiday.
Bob
14-02-20, 06:36 PM
Ask away Bob
16-02-20, 03:33 PM
Hi Bob,

We have digested all your info and it is most useful thanks for that, we do have one question for you:-

Did you get the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn?

Or did you come back some other route?

Thanks

Malcolm

(14-02-20 06:36 PM)Bob Wrote:  Ask away Bob
16-02-20, 08:31 PM
I have twice taken the ferry. Once in a car with tent the other in a fiver. Just call yourself a car and caravan. Be aware that my new Garmin had me driving in the sea as the harbour was in the process of extending some 800 yards further south.
Return in the fiver was Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany (via south ring road of Berlin) and kept on the motorway to Holland.
I can't recall the cost of the 2½ hour ferry trip but it was a sensible price. I did not have my own computer at the time so used the one in Juva Camping and they even ran me a hard copy for free. Booking is essential especially on a Friday as many Estonians work and stay in digs in Finland all week.
Hoping this helps, Bob
16-02-20, 08:47 PM
Thanks again Bob,

Cheers

(16-02-20 08:31 PM)Bob Wrote:  I have twice taken the ferry. Once in a car with tent the other in a fiver. Just call yourself a car and caravan. Be aware that my new Garmin had me driving in the sea as the harbour was in the process of extending some 800 yards further south.
Return in the fiver was Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany (via south ring road of Berlin) and kept on the motorway to Holland.
I can't recall the cost of the 2½ hour ferry trip but it was a sensible price. I did not have my own computer at the time so used the one in Juva Camping and they even ran me a hard copy for free. Booking is essential especially on a Friday as many Estonians work and stay in digs in Finland all week.
Hoping this helps, Bob

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication