x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

North Coast 500
23-02-20, 12:26 PM
North Coast 500
Has anyone done/tried the NC500 in a 5er? Mine is a Celtic Rambler pulled by a VW Amarok, & am wondering if it is too large for some/all of the route.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-02-20, 03:23 PM
RE: North Coast 500
Probably be OK taking it steady.
Only thing I would say is that at Ayr last year, we had quite a lot of people coming into site complaining that although it was a nice route, it was getting quite dangerous with boy racers and morons trying to do the route as fast as possible rather than enjoy the scenery.
TBH, there are gazillions of wonderful, quiet places to go in Scotland without tying yourself to an over-publicised tourist trap of a route.

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden
23-02-20, 05:06 PM
I know of past members who have done this several times in a Rambler. There may even be mention of their sojourns in some of the posts. you could always try the search function to check.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara
23-02-20, 11:09 PM
I have done it in my Rockwood and have been there several times before. We went as far as Orkney from Gill's Bay last time. Lots of wild camping possible (and lawful for 1 nights duration). I would avoid the busiest time of the year though.
Bob
24-02-20, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm quite happy with taking the Rambler on single track roads with passing places, & we aim to take our time around the route, 2-3 weeks probably, parking up & unhitching in 2 or 3 places to exploring other areas in the Amarok as we go along.
My main concern was the Bealach Na Ba pass on the Applecross peninsula - there are two hair-pin bends on it that look rather 'tight' for our rig, & also signs warning large vehicles & vehicles towing caravans to avoid the pass! I think that we will follow the advice & use an alternative, Lochcarron to Shieldaig road.
24-02-20, 12:59 PM
Ahhhhh, having done that some years ago in an Elddis Autostratus, I'm afraid there's no way I'd take a 5ver over it and I consider myself to be at least a reasonable driver of large RV's & 5vers.
I've got to be honest with you, part of me would consider it irresponsible to take a rig like that over such a pass and the way drivers are these days, I'm not sure you'd make too many friends.
Personally, I'd use the bypass route for the rig but DEFINITELY do it in the pick up for the experience and the views.

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication