Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Ford Ranger Weight upgrade
02-04-20, 12:08 PM
Ford Ranger Weight upgrade
Hi folks,
So I have been in touch with a company to do a weight upgrade for our 2016 Ford Ranger,
I can get an uprate to GTW of 7000kgs in conjunction with a GVW of 3500kgs.
this includes the airbags VIN plate & DVLA certification etc £750.00 +VAT.
If we change the rear tyres from 111 to 112 we can also increase the rear axle weight to 2200kg's

Question, do we need to increase the rear axle weight?

2005 Autotrail Arapaho.

The Camping and Caravanning Club,
North Wales DA Treasurer.
http://www.northwalesda.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-04-20, 12:28 PM
RE: Ford Ranger Weight upgrade
I think your Ranger has a payload of 970 kgs. You can check this by weighing with both of you in the cab a full tank of fuel and anything else in the truck that you might carry.
So called pin weights on some USA fivers seem to be with a van full of hydrogen or similar as the quoted 500 kgs in reality without Jacqui's wardrobe seems to be nearer 900 kgs with some tools extra battery, mains hook up cable etc.
Personally I would go for the increased axle weight. Remember your spare wheel will have to be up rated as well.
Bob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bob for this post:
NeilandJo (02-04-20)
02-04-20, 01:00 PM
Thanks Bob, I was thinking that, but wanted to check I was doing the right thing,
I have also seen the pin weights of the fivers and find them a little confusing, mainly because of the accuracy, I wonder if they were using bathroom scales too Smile
Perhaps I should get some of the Helium tablets the Trudgions were testing last year on 1st April Smile

2005 Autotrail Arapaho.

02-04-20, 02:33 PM
This is a guess but I think that when they weigh a fiver and quote its weight there is nothing but a chassis, wheels, and the "box". Everything from the cupboards to the mattress and fridge, heating, aircon, etc are payload.
Bob
02-04-20, 05:01 PM
(02-04-20 02:33 PM)Bob Wrote:  This is a guess but I think that when they weigh a fiver and quote its weight there is nothing but a chassis, wheels, and the "box". Everything from the cupboards to the mattress and fridge, heating, aircon, etc are payload.
Bob

As I understand it (from Calder) the weight quoted is the "dry" weight.
Naively, I thought that meant minus liquids!92
Turns out it mean minus.........
Fridge
Microwave
Oven
Heating
Aircon.
Electric fire.

Nice little scam!!!!!!!!!72

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden
02-04-20, 05:17 PM
Zaskar, did you not forget to add the Gordons dry gin? (something to bring a smile to your face in these times)
Bob
02-04-20, 06:10 PM
The advertised "dry weights" are an advertising gimmick used in the USA to gain sales, remember that across the pond no one really cares if you are a bit overweight, I mean the trailer not the people. .....
It's generally accepted that anything used non commercially can be pulled by anything capable. A better idea for pin weight is around 20% of gross, you can never have too much truck, easy to have too little though. ..
07-04-20, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys.

'Turns out it mean minus.........
Fridge
Microwave
Oven
Heating
Aircon.
Electric fire'.
Yup ive heard that said before

'This is a guess but I think that when they weigh a fiver and quote its weight there is nothing but a chassis, wheels, and the "box". Everything from the cupboards to the mattress and fridge, heating, aircon, etc are payload'.
Seems there are many that agree.

I will get the weight upgraded as much as i can, handy if the water tank is full or need to carry exras, looking at having a washing machine fitted in the fiver too, so the extra upgrade will help there.

2005 Autotrail Arapaho.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication