Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

D40 Rear Air Bags
23-05-20, 10:57 AM
D40 Rear Air Bags
2008 D40 converted by Calder from new.

Firestone / Ride Rite airbags with compressor under rear seat.

Mine went down the other day when I got my truck out after a months layup.
Not done a full check yet re bags / fittings / pipes etc but as the system is now 9 years old, I do wonder if it would be advisable to replace the bags?
I paint them fairly regularly with tyre treatment (Concept Chemicals Contour) but even so, at 9 years old, they must be getting tired.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for replacement airbags please?

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-05-20, 11:41 AM
RE: D40 Rear Air Bags
I think you will find that as they are made of much the same material as tyres. Tyres are considered to have only 5 years working life and up to 2 years in storage. That said if kept cool in the dark away from UV light etc they can last a lot longer as for instance the full sized spare inside the boot wheel well in my Mazda 3.
I would suggest removal and a look to see if there are any cracks etc. Air lines usually last longer. Hoping this helps, Bob
24-05-20, 02:02 PM
I found when I ran hgv's that after about 7 or 8 years some had to be replaced,damage was sometimes caused by corrosion around the top of the bottom metal part that bolts to the spring chafing a hole in the bottom of the airbag,easy job with the trailer airbags I used to blank air coming in,lift trailer clear with the other 5 bags,job done good luck Zasker lets hope there is a joint on a pipe needs tightening up,have a squirt around with soapy water if you can't hear anything,can't be as bad as changing gearbox oil. Ted.ps just changed back tyre on my gpldwing after 25 years,no cracks good tread passed mot,but did not want to push my luck,must try and do more miles and try to wear them up in future.
24-05-20, 07:49 PM
25 years is excellent but I would worry about any hidden damage by sunlight etc. Bob
24-05-20, 08:56 PM
When the guy took them off I ask him if he looked at the date,all he said was that the rubber had gone really hard,13700 miles was all they had done,I had not ridden it for 3 years,as I say I must do more this year,and the fifthwheel,these toys are too expensive to have standing about and not getting used. Ted
25-05-20, 10:00 AM
(24-05-20 08:56 PM)tedley Wrote:  When the guy took them off I ask him if he looked at the date,all he said was that the rubber had gone really hard,13700 miles was all they had done,I had not ridden it for 3 years,as I say I must do more this year,and the fifthwheel,these toys are too expensive to have standing about and not getting used. Ted

I have trouble getting 3000 miles out of my bike tyres, so I reckon you did well with 13700.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara
25-05-20, 09:08 PM
Friends of mine in the states with goldwings only get 8 k,plenty of tread on the outsides but none in the middle,(no cornering)when I bought it 25 years ago,it had a puncture in the rear and they put a new tyre on,before I collected it,I know I have never taken that wheel out,the front one I changed about 20 years ago,they were dunlop elite 3 which is recommended for this bike,I am as impressed as you are,it weighs over 800lb and on top of that we are 2 up most of the time,I take it yours is a sports bike.Ted
25-05-20, 09:51 PM
(25-05-20 09:08 PM)tedley Wrote:  Friends of mine in the states with goldwings only get 8 k,plenty of tread on the outsides but none in the middle,(no cornering)when I bought it 25 years ago,it had a puncture in the rear and they put a new tyre on,before I collected it,I know I have never taken that wheel out,the front one I changed about 20 years ago,they were dunlop elite 3 which is recommended for this bike,I am as impressed as you are,it weighs over 800lb and on top of that we are 2 up most of the time,I take it yours is a sports bike.Ted

Not really a sports bike, just a Yamaha Fazer600. Can still have a bit of fun on it though.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication