x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Sidewinder
10-06-20, 07:09 PM
Sidewinder
When I bought my Kountrylite it came with a Reese revolution sidewinder hitch but it’s always been deactivated has anyone got any experience of using these activated? Pros and cons.

Kountrylite Quadslide Navara Tekna 190.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-06-20, 07:50 PM
RE: Sidewinder
(10-06-20 07:09 PM)V6lad Wrote:  When I bought my Kountrylite it came with a Reese revolution sidewinder hitch but it’s always been deactivated has anyone got any experience of using these activated? Pros and cons.

Do you mean you still rotate around the pin in the hitch rather than that being locked (by the wedge) and thus rotating around the point where the sidewinder is attached to the trailer?

I had a standard pin box set up on my Kountrylite when I first bought it. Reversing was always a bit more of a lottery than when reversing a caravan or trailer attached to a tow ball. so I bought a sidewinder and I find that reversing is now akin to the experience of reversing on a tow ball. A lot more predictable.
The down side: Once the wedge is fitted to stop rotation at the hitch, I do find that connecting up can be a little more difficult on occasions. I need to be very straight on to the sidewinder (so the wedge locates properly) otherwise the locking arm doesn't go across so easily. It is also a little more height sensitive (pin box to hitch) than a standard setup. Having said all that I prefer the increased predictability and am discovering ways of minimising connecting issues.
Hope that helps.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara
10-06-20, 08:50 PM
The biggest pro for using the sidewinder is more steering lock between the back of the cab and the front of the fiver. Most can go to near or to actual 90º.
Under NO circumstances have the sidewinder unlocked without using the wedge or a double jack knife will occur. If in doubt please ask for more information.
Bob
11-06-20, 12:27 PM
I have a sliding hitch, which although I believe is illegal, as a solo traveller I find great for maneuvering.

NP300 + Quad KountryLite 5th Wheeler
11-06-20, 12:38 PM
(11-06-20 12:27 PM)Colintheolder Wrote:  I have a sliding hitch, which although I believe is illegal, as a solo traveller I find great for maneuvering.

I might as well be a solo traveller for the help my wife is when I'm maneuvering. 05

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara
11-06-20, 12:45 PM
I do not see why a sliding hitch is illegal. Most HGV's have a sliding hitch just king-size. Perhaps you mean the automatic slider that moves backwards as you turn tight turns. The problem with us is that we do not fall into any convenient grouping when it comes to the law. Even our insurance policies seem to be a modified motorhome policy, and the fact that they uncouple and can be insured for fire etc whilst in 2 different addresses I have queried when renewing my policy.
Bob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bob for this post:
Colintheolder (11-06-20)
25-06-20, 08:27 AM
(10-06-20 07:09 PM)V6lad Wrote:  When I bought my Kountrylite it came with a Reese revolution sidewinder hitch but it’s always been deactivated has anyone got any experience of using these activated? Pros and cons.

I had the first one fitted by Calder. They produced an extender for it. It is excellent. Gives much more turning capability, especially on sites with restricted space to get in. I have some cameras on the sides so can't get a full 90 degree lock, but not far off it. Locking / Unlocking the hitch from the truck can be an issue if trying it at near 90 degree lock on uneven ground. You need slightly longer distance when starting a reverse turn but you will easily adapt to it.
The ride on the road seems a lot better to me with the hitch than the old fixed hitch.

Nissan Navara 2012 V6 auto, Kountrylite triple slide,
25-06-20, 09:18 PM
I have since found out mine is rusted solid. I removed the locking bolts and the large castellated nut to reveal a rusty taper roller bearing. Large hammer and fox wedges wouldn’t move it neither would a 6 ft mega pipe wrench on the pin. Will take the whole lot off over the winter and press it apart.

25-06-20, 09:50 PM
The pin does not turn. You will have to put the turning motion onto the arm. I have had several apert and the newer ones sem to do away with the tape roller bearing and just fit plastic sleave and washers. Bob
26-06-20, 09:33 AM
Yes I know the pin doesn’t turn but by gripping it I was hoping to turn the pin box at the taper bearing pivot point.
Some users have said the sidewinder makes the 5er act more like a caravan when being towed so I might just leave it locked.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication