x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Diesel heater
10-07-20, 06:14 PM
Diesel heater
As I am thinking of wild camping next winter abroad, I realise that Calor is not available there so thought of a diesel heater. The particular one I am interested in is below. Has anyone fitted such a heater? There is a lot about these heaters particularly in the USA for "Boondocking" as they call it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FlowerW-Webasto...315&sr=8-9
Your thoughts please (we are both hothouse plants)
Bob
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-07-20, 07:54 PM
RE: Diesel heater
I've no experience of them and I don't understand Chinese. 92
When I was using mine for work through the winter a few years ago I used to leave an oil filled radiator on just to keep the chill off while I wasn't there. I was on hook up so no problem with the electric to run it. It was also a good supplement to the trailer heating.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Black V6 Navara
10-07-20, 08:59 PM
Diesel heater
Gosh.
Not my subject but as an ex A& E nurse it sounds very dangerous. I’ve seen so many burns caused by people not knowing what they were doing.
I suggest trying to contact HGV drivers who might use them then find a reliable source that will educate you about it.
We don’t want anyone injured or your rig burnt to a crisp.
What do people do in the country you are visiting?
Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-07-20, 09:11 PM
Mrs M I am a qualified engineer who for many years prefered to work outdoors as a class 1 hgv driver and have used cab heaters made in Germany many times. These heaters have 4 "pipes" 2 are for the burner and the air in and exhaust out and are vented to the outside. The remaining 2 are for colder air in and hot air out into the cab.
I have seen many of these installations via the internet and just thought if anyone had used them. Hopefully we will spend a month or more in Montenegro subject to Covid 19 and other factors. As there are virtually no open campsites en route we will wild camp on the way as we did so many times last summer around Europe. Last summer I got up to make the morning tea at minus 6ºC. As we had flattened the battery with the central heating and then the electric overblanket we has an early start.
Jacqui has some medical problems and 23ºC is for us a nice temperature. One of the main advantages of the 5th Wheel products is the excellent insulation. Bob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bob for this post:
Colintheolder (10-07-20)
10-07-20, 09:18 PM
Diesel heater
Fair enough.
It’s just having done my job makes me very cautious.
I have seen things that no one wants to see.
But if anyone can do it I’m sure you can.
Maybe not off Amazon???
Or check it’s origin. I’m fed up of ordering things off Amazon that appear to be from a UK company. Then they arrive from China , very inferior. Trying to get refunds has become an art form. I didn’t know Amazon had loopholes but it has.
Do take care.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MrsM for this post:
Colintheolder (10-07-20)
12-07-20, 09:22 AM
Morning Bob.

As our KL is too big to drag out of our compound for time off, we also have a little Romahome Duo for wildcamping (nothing but).
We've got a smaller version of the Webasto already fitted in it. Now, obviously, the Romahome is a MUCH smaller vehicle than a 5ver but here's our experience for what it's worth.

Pro's. VERY good heat from it and doesn't seem to have any effect on the small Citroen diesel tank. Keeps us warm enough but.................

Cons. Quite noisy, but you'll know that from your trucks. You might not notice the same in a 5ver as we do in the Romahome

Electric consumption does worry me slightly to the tune that instead of relying on the old Zig unit analogue voltmeter, I've fitted an LED digital voltmeter. We have a 110 amp Platinum AGM fitted.

Control. - I dont know if its just ours, but we find it very difficult to keep a low, steady temp (ticking over if you will) without battering the battery. It tends to warm up till we're nearly passing out when we knock it off till we're cold and then have another go. We find that if we leave it on low tick-over, it seems to use more electric for the fan than I'm comfortable with, certainly when you need it most in the winter when our small free standing solar panel struggles to replace what's used.

Kountrylite 26RL high profile+2008 Nav Adventura Auto with DTE.
Campsite Warden
12-07-20, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info and thanks for all the work you and your workmates are doing inthese dificult times. I did notice that the one I am thinking of has a digital control unit. I agree about noise but our gas fired central heating unit is hardly quiet in the Rockwood but the Cougar was even noisier. I have 2 x 100 amp hour batteries that I fitted and that should be enough but the small noisy generator is going to be replced with a larger quieter one so as to be able to use the microwave. Since we do not uncouple when wild camping on route I fitted a relay into the truck / van charging wire so that the truck battery will not discharge when the van batteries are under load. (A Halfords special).
The 10 litre fuel tank provided will fit nicely behind nearside the spare wheel and I will purchase a 2nd tank behind the offside spare wheel connected together so even on the coldest night in the dark I will not have to refill the diesel tank.
Bob
12-07-20, 01:14 PM
Diesel heater
Sounds like you have it all sussed.
My husband can barely put up a shelf.

12-07-20, 08:13 PM
I do not like to boast and electronics are totally beyond me but using our old Cougar in Finland I did a temporary repair to the rear offside spring shackle and on the same trip in Poland I turned an empty can of beer into a bearing cap cover. Punctures in Latvia and Slovenia I repaired using the continental method of sticky string. I find wire coat hangers (the old thick ones not the modern flimsy sort) are very usefull and have fixed up and elderly Polish motorhome enough to get him home. Being good at DIY helps a lot from making an ironing board stowaway in Bosnia - Jacqui suddenly wanted a full size one as it was so cheap. At the compound I helped Ray who has an elderly Rambler that had a mior problem with a sidewinder. I just get on with it and often there is a helping hand for any problems when away.
Bob

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Fifth Wheel Owners Club   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication